UPDATE: Second man arrested in home invasion case

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Police in Corner Brook made a second arrest over the weekend in connection to a home invasion that happened Friday night.

RNC

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary said the 19-year-old man is facing charges of robbery with violence, disguise with intent, break and enter, possession of property obtained by crime, and breach of a court order. The accused was scheduled to make a court appearance by teleconference Sunday morning.

The home invasion happened at a home on Humber Road. A man arrived home from work and found two men there carrying weapons. He was restrained with plastic cable ties before suspects left the house carrying electronic goods and cash. The 53-year-old victim was taken to hospital to receive treatment for a cut on his hand and later released.

Police previously arrested a 33-year-old man and charged him with break and enter, forcible confinement, robbery with violence and disguise with intent. He is due back in court on Monday.

Both of the accused live on Massey Drive. The RNC said Sunday its investigation is ongoing and that further charges could be laid. Police previously described the incident as a targeted event.

•••

(Earlier story)

A 33-year-old Corner Brook man accused of breaking into another man’s home Friday night has been remanded in custody for the rest of the weekend.

The accused appeared in Weekend and Statutory Holidays Court by teleconference Saturday morning. His case will return to court on Monday.

According to the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary, a 53-year-old man returned to his Humber Road home Friday night to find two men inside carrying weapons. Plastic cable ties were used to restrain him, after which the suspects left the house carrying electronic devices and cash.

The victim was taken to hospital to get treatment for a cut on his hand and later released.

The RNC believes it was a targeted incident and is continuing its investigation.

The accused has been charged with break and enter, forcible confinement, robbery with violence and disguise with intent.

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact the RNC at 637-4100 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) and online at www.nlcrimestoppers.com.

•••

(Earlier story)

One man is in custody and Corner Brook police expect further arrests are likely following a violent home invasion Friday night.

A 53-year-old man was assaulted with a weapon by two other men when he came home from work that night. The suspects were already in the home on Humber Road when he arrived.

Wearing disguises, the suspects tied up the victim and stole some items before leaving the house. The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary have not specified what type of weapon was involved in the incident.

The victim was cut and taken to hospital, where he was treated and released.

The RNC later picked up two men who were taken into custody with assistance from RCMP officers. A 33-year-old man was arrested for break and enter, assault with a weapon, forcible confinement and uttering threats. He was scheduled to appear in court Saturday morning.

The RNC’s investigation was ongoing as of early Saturday morning. It said additional charges and arrests are a possibility.

Organizations: RCMP

Geographic location: Corner Brook, Humber Road

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • Pat Murphy
    February 02, 2014 - 18:15

    So, how come these people deserve privacy. Who are these alleged criminals. The Western Star had no problem printing pictures of innocent people who had alledgedly done things and made them front page headlines, ruining their lives forever in this town in the process, in the not so long ago past. More than one person here has had this injustice done to them. But home invaders who assaulted, confined and injured a citizen here and stole from him deserve privacy. Not fair, in my opinion. Not that I want to know who the perpetrators are. I am just stating the unfairness of this newspaper in the past.

  • Marshall Art
    February 02, 2014 - 17:30

    Several states in the U.S. have laws such as the 'Stand Your Ground' law and the 'Castle' law which give homeowners the right to defend themselves against home invaders. Homeowners have the right to use deadly force and they cannot be charged even if they kill the invader(s). In NL, We don't have such laws, yet, but, in the interim, any invader to my family home risks leaving in a body bag.

  • Nelson
    February 02, 2014 - 01:24

    Come to my house and they'll get their sentence. right quick and save on courts time......

  • Jay
    February 01, 2014 - 22:36

    From the sounds of it. It is very well an inside job. The owner must of known the 2. I still can't believe that this happen near where I live. I hope that all involved get the maximum penalty. I just hope that the home owner gets well. My main question is: where is our society going? I just hope that our judicial system will force stronger sentences to help keep people like this off the streets. What a shame that this happen in Corner Brook. Our city is turning out to be like Downtown Toronto.

  • Disgusted
    February 01, 2014 - 16:04

    What gems. Hopefully they will get jail time for this. Absolutely despicable, and, I suspect, probably drug-related.

  • anonymous
    February 01, 2014 - 09:43

    It's terrible and scary to know that this type of thing is occurring right here in our town.....

    • Bernice Park
      February 01, 2014 - 16:59

      It's not safe in your own home anymore the people who do this should get the maximum sentence or someone will soon get killed !!!