King Charles Major Health Update released by the Palace

Buckingham Palace announced Friday that King Charles III will “soon return to public duties” following his cancer diagnosis, as his doctors are “sufficiently pleased with the progress” he has made in his treatment so far.

The King and Queen Camilla will make a joint charity visit to a cancer treatment center next week, and plans are underway to welcome Japan's Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako for a state visit to London in June.

The announcement comes as the monarch was diagnosed with an undisclosed cancer in February, severely curtailing her schedule of royal duties. He continues to receive treatment.

The palace said in a statement on Friday: “His Majesty the King will soon return to public duties following some treatment and recovery following his recent cancer diagnosis.

“To mark this milestone, the King and Queen will visit a cancer treatment center next Tuesday, where they will meet medical professionals and patients. The visit will be the first of many overseas engagements Her Majesty will undertake in the coming weeks.

“Furthermore, at the request of HM Government, the King and Queen will host Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress of Japan for a state visit in June.

“As we approach the first anniversary of the Coronation, Their Majesties are deeply grateful for the many kindnesses and well wishes they have received from around the world throughout the joys and challenges of the past year.”

King Charles III pictured leaving a London hospital on January 29, 2024. King's cancer diagnosis was announced in February.

Image by Karwai Tang/WireImage

The news is a positive update from the royal family following a difficult start to 2024, when both the King and his niece Princess Kate revealed they had been diagnosed with cancer.

See also  Max Verstappen wins wild race

A Buckingham Palace spokesman said on Friday: “The monarch is greatly encouraged to resume some public-facing duties and is extremely grateful for the continued care and expertise of her medical team.”

Charles has returned to his general duties (reduced and taking advice from his doctors) as he has slowly improved his vision in recent weeks, indicating that his health is moving in a positive direction.

The royal family surprised the media and fans by making a previously unannounced and unexpected walk when they appeared on Easter Sunday at St George's Church on March 31, shaking hands with members of the public for the first time since being diagnosed with cancer.

News of the diagnosis broke days after the monarch was discharged from hospital following a medical procedure to treat an enlarged prostate. In an unprecedented update on a sovereign's health, the palace announced on February 5 that tests conducted during the procedure had confirmed the presence of cancer. The announcement said the king would continue to conduct official business of the state, but would reduce his public appearances during treatment.

Since then he has not made any of his regular tours and appearances in Britain or the Commonwealth circuit.

The second major health setback for the royal family follows Charles' cancer diagnosis, with Princess Kate announcing in January that tests following her own medical regimen had revealed traces of cancer.

On March 22, Kate revealed to the world that she is undergoing a course of “preventive chemotherapy” and will be staying out of the public eye while she takes time to recover from treatment.

See also  Usher Confirmed as Super Bowl Halftime 2024 Performer

In a statement released after Kate's announcement, a spokesman for Charles said he was “very proud” of his “beloved daughter-in-law” and was in “close contact” with her.

The news that the monarch will resume his regular appearance comes as the monarchy prepares for one of the busiest periods of the year in late spring and early summer.

With the incoming Japanese state visit, Charles hosts the annual Trooping the Color parade in June, followed by Royal Ascot and Scotland Week.

According to reports, he will tour Australia following the Commonwealth Heads of Government Conference to be held in Samoa next October.

Referring to these proposed appearances, a Buckingham Palace spokesman said on Friday: “Planning is continuing for ways in which Their Majesties will attend summer and autumn engagements, although nothing can be confirmed or guaranteed at this stage.

“All future plans will be subject to the advice of doctors, with appropriate adaptations where necessary to minimize any risks to Her Majesty's continued recovery.”

James Crawford-Smith NewsweekState Correspondent in London. You can find him on X (formerly Twitter). @jrcrawfordsmith And read his stories Newsweeks Royals Facebook page.

Want our experienced royal correspondents to answer questions about King Charles III, William and Kate, Meghan Markle and Harry or their families? Email [email protected]. We'd love to hear from you.