Climate change argument is balderdash, says writer

letter to editor

I was quite amused the other day to come across the "Turn Back the Tide" public awareness campaign. I understand the political correctness requirement of such campaigns and how all governments are forced (one way or another) into producing and propagating such dubious material by the global powers that be.

The WMO and the UNEP Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) was shown years ago to be fabricating scientific data and covering up others to suit their own agenda. Yet, the powers that be persist in this hoax.

My point, simply put, is that the premise that human beings are generating harmful (planet/climate threatening) amounts of carbon dioxide is scientifically absurd to say the least. Plants require carbon dioxide as animals (and people) require oxygen. No, carbon dioxide, for the planet in general, is not a toxic or even noxious substance as some organizations say. It is, in fact, a vital nutrient to photosynthesizing organisms (ALL plants and even some bacteria). These organisms are responsible for sustaining ALL life on earth.

According to ice core samples from tens of thousands of years ago carbon dioxide levels have been much higher in the past than they are right now. Al Gore (An Inconvenient Truth) was either ignorant of the real facts or just plain lying.

Climate change has always been a cyclical fact of life on this planet. Solar output determines climate (change or steady state) on this planet, not carbon dioxide or any other so called "greenhouse gas." The sun is the ultimate source of all energy received by planet Earth and it is forever in flux.

As resent as the 1970s scientists were warning us of the imminent ice-age coming upon us. Now, in the beginning of the twenty first century scientists are warning us of the dire consequences of the opposite circumstances. What balderdash! Science also is in constant flux. Before long, I suspect, they'll be warning of the perils of another coming ice-age.

— Boyd French writes from Bay Roberts, and describes himself as a conscientious objector and concerned citizen.

Organizations: UNEP Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change

Geographic location: Bay Roberts

Comments

Comments

• AN
    January 29, 2014 - 05:58

I don't understand the point of this? Are you trying to justify pollution? So if climate chaneg is a myth, does it means go ahead and throw trash out the window? Or keep on consuming more energy and fuel? It seems more like you are generating propaganda to discourage people from conserving energy...hmm i wonder who would want to do that? Perhaps oil and gas companies that fear alternative energy is catching on! We live on a finite planet, even if we wont see the end of it in our own lives, it doesn't mean we should go ahead and be careless and selfish. Remember this: we are just tenants, here for a couple of years, please leave the place nice and clean for future tenants. And by the way, global warming can lead to .... it depends on how the warm and cool ocean currents are affected. So in theory, it can lead to an ice age, if you disrupt the current flow, where the warm flows are forced to a halt. Yes I said in theory, do you really only want to believe once it turns into fact..don't you think it will be too late by that time! Drive slow because you might hit a moose...dont wait til the moose has already hit your car! The message is be responsible, and less selfish when it comes to using energy!

• Boyd French
      February 14, 2014 - 22:12

I didn't say climate change was a myth. Please pay attention! Read what I wrote. I have absolutely zero connection to the oil and gas industry. There is NO evidence (scientific or otherwise) of anthropomorphic (human caused) climate change. I am all in favor of consuming less and being a good steward. But, I oppose vehemently the supremely fascist notion that I MUST drive a stupid "smart" car instead of pickup truck (I do) because I am using too much (more than my fair share) of fuel or that I have not right to live in a 5000 sq ft house (I do) because someone believes I should only live in a 1000 sqr ft one. What you are condoning is new age fascism disguised as being less selfish when it comes to using energy! Are you justifying fascism? You have been brainwashed into doing just that and you are not alone.

• Boyd French
      February 15, 2014 - 09:42

• ngnr
    January 24, 2014 - 16:46

"Solar output determines climate (change or steady state) on this planet, not carbon dioxide or any other so called "greenhouse gas." The sun is the ultimate source of all energy received by planet Earth and it is forever in flux." Even if I completely agreed with your premise that climate change is only determined by solar output, which I don't, your argument is flawed. Carbon dioxide is called a greenhouse gas for a reason. It causes the retention of heat generated by the sun within the atmosphere in the same way a greenhouse does. I assume you've noticed how a greenhouse gets warmer than the outside air? The solar output may not change, but the heat retention does and if you don't think that will impact climate, you are sadly mistaken. Time to take your head out of the sand.

• Boyd French
      February 14, 2014 - 16:28

It is amazing to me how the "Sheeple" swallow everything they are told as absolute gospel. As for CO2 being a "greenhouse gas" (it is a minor one compared to say methane) you have completely missed my point genius. The main point I was attempting to make regarding the relationship between CO2 and climate change is that we cannot exist on this planet without CO2. It is NOT the evil killer of the planet the IPCC is making it out to be. Trees and other plant need it as we need the oxygen they produce.....oh and guess where the rest of our food ultimately comes from. My stand is simply that WE DO NOT HAVE TOO MUCH CO2 in fact we may not have enough.....time will tell which of us is right.....cheers ngnr PS You probably even believe in the absolutely ridiculous hoax of evolution too...LOL....like CO2 driven climate change where is your evidence.

• Flynn
    January 24, 2014 - 15:07

"According to ice core samples from tens of thousands of years ago carbon dioxide levels have been much higher in the past than they are right now." NASA disagrees with your unattributed argument: http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence "No, carbon dioxide, for the planet in general, is not a toxic or even noxious substance as some organizations say." Too much CO2 and not enough O2 means we die. I'd define that as toxic. " I understand the political correctness requirement of such campaigns and how all governments are forced (one way or another) into producing and propagating such dubious material by the global powers that be." They want you to shut off your lights when you leave a room and walk instead of drive when you can. Not sure what the harm of that is, even if climate change is a myth, which it isn't. Your letter is the propaganda.

• Boyd French
      February 23, 2014 - 10:01

I repeat, I DID NOT SAY CLIMATE CHANGE IS A MYTH.....read my letter. I did say and emphatically reiterate that human beings and CO2 are NOT the cause of climate change. BTW have you heard the latest from NASA. They say the sun in exhibiting the lowest activity they have seen in a very long time. Note that enormous dark patch (sun spot) on the sun's surface (that means cooling). This means solar output is dropping. Better get ready for that ICE AGE I warned you about. I think you are misrepresenting what I said here. And YOU call my opinions propaganda. REALLY!!! Ohhh, have you ever heard of the UN's Agenda 21? Just Google that one. I dear ya....LOL Please become properly informed.