The Charlottetown Fire Department is receiving funding for a new fire truck.
Lisa Dempster, Minister of Children, Seniors and Social Development and MHA for Cartwright-L’Anse au Clair, on behalf of Eddie Joyce, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Environment, made the announcement in Charlottetown on Dec. 22.
She was was joined by members of the department, as well as officials from the town of Charlottetown and the local service district of Pinsent’s Arm, both of which are served by the department.
“It is an honour to celebrate with firefighters this critical investment for the communities of Charlottetown and Pinsent’s Arm,” said Dempster, in a statement. “Firefighters put their lives on the line to serve their communities. This investment is a great example of a vital partnership between government and communities that is sure to enhance fire safety and emergency response.”
The provincial government is investing approximately $103,000 for the Rural Response Unit, and the vehicle will be cost-shared with the municipality.
The total cost of the vehicle will be $142,000, with the province providing 80 per cent of the funding and the town providing the remaining 20 per cent
“Our fire department is very pleased to be receiving this investment of a new firefighting vehicle,” said Charlottetown Fire Department fire chief Boyce Turnbull. “It will be a great asset to our firefighters as we work to help residents of Charlottetown and Pinsent’s Arm in their time of need.”
As an action of The Way Forward, the provincial government introduced a new $100 million municipal infrastructure program in March 2017.
The program supports provincial investments in clean water, wastewater systems, as well as community infrastructure and investments in fire services.