Philip Wood refuses to discuss political intentions

Nicholas Mercer

For months, rumours have swirled about who would seek the Liberal Party bid in the provincial electoral district of Port de Grave.

Bay Roberts Mayor Philip Wood

Many of them have centered around whether Bay Roberts Mayor Philip Wood will throw his hat in the ring in a bid to oust the current MHA, Progressive Conservative Glenn Littlejohn, for a seat in the House of Assembly.

Five Liberals — Tony Menchions, Pam Parsons, Lee Efford, Kay Crane and Justin Butler — have publicly confirmed their intent to seek the Liberal nomination.

However, some observers feel Wood might have the strongest chance of unseating the Tories and return the district to the Liberal fold.

A high-profile mayor, Wood was also a respected educator and, as a member of the Royal Canadian Legion, was instrumental in the rejuvenation of the war memorial in Bay Roberts.

A recent Compass editorial sparked some reaction as readers left comments suggesting Wood would be the right person for the job, while others said he was not interested.

When asked about his intentions on Wednesday morning, Wood refused to discuss the matter, saying repeatedly: “No comment.”

No date has been set for a call for nominations in the district, though interest among Liberals is expected to be very high, with the party experiencing a resurgence in popularity in recent months.

nmercer@cbncompass.ca

Organizations: Royal Canadian Legion

Geographic location: Bay Roberts

Comments

Comments

• Come on!
    July 02, 2014 - 19:49

Butler and Efford.....same old guard trying to hang onto a bit of power!

• Tony D.
    July 02, 2014 - 17:44

This should see every so called Liberal to come out of the woodwork for miles around. Had Littlejohn crossed the floor during that opportune time some months ago, all would be forgiven and he could have carried the Liberal banner all the way to his pension. Now that window has closed and now, its open season on the Port De Grave seat. However, don't count Littlejohn out yet just because the Liberals appear to be on cruise control all the way to the 8th floor.. I am surprised to learn that since his party has done him no favours due to their waning popularity, Littlejohn is still doing his thing. The question is...is swapping one Bay Roberts mayor for another really the answer. The trend all across the country these days has been, "better the devil you know". Should be an interesting nomination. It's Wood's if he wants it, but it may not be the answer to unseat Littlejohn...even IF this district is grass roots Liberal.

• sure of it
    July 02, 2014 - 17:39

Wood would win!

• former student
    July 02, 2014 - 14:34

Taught me in school and was the best principal I ever had. I would not have passed without his encouragement. I would be honoured to call him my MHA

• former student
    July 02, 2014 - 14:24

Taught me in school and was the best Principal I ever had

• Die hard Liberal
    July 02, 2014 - 14:11

Go for it Mayor Wood. I do not forget how you helped me with a property issue.

• Die hard Liberal
    July 02, 2014 - 14:10

Go for it Mayor Wood. I do not forget how you helped me with a property issue.

• Supporting Younger nominees
    July 02, 2014 - 11:32

We need young fresh blood in the party the young ones can freshen up the party and bring it back to life. Wood's should stay where he is at......Just my opinion but it sounds like Lee Efford (son of John Efford) would be great person for the role. John did a lot of good things for my family and for NFLD. Lee is only going to be just like his father. GO EFFORD!!!

• laughable
      July 02, 2014 - 14:38

So who are you voting for.....Lee or John???