The 10 Labatt employees who were accused of defying court orders while they were involved in a wildcat strike in St. John’s last year are no longer facing charges.
In provincial court in St. John’s today, charges were withdrawn against Andre Rene Adams, Daniel C. Follett, Danny Follett, Jeffrey Joseph Hanlon, Robert Joseph Hickey, Francis Joseph O’Neill, Leslie Errol Squires, Sterling Sutton, Edmund Tucker and Stephen Walsh.
The men had been accused of violating a court injunction while on the picket line by reportedly walking in front of vehicles en route to and from the building.
“It’s not in the public interest to proceed with these matters,” Crown prosecutor Shawn Patten told Judge Pamela Goulding.
Defence lawyer Sheila Greene — who was in court representing the accused workers — told reporters outside court that it made sense to drop the charges, since the strike is long over and no one was hurt.
One matters remains.
Daniel C. Follett is also charged with one count of assault for allegedly spitting in a security guard’s face. His trial is set for July 17.