Class action certified

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

A class action lawsuit over a Canada Student Loans privacy breach has been certified by the Federal Court of Canada, says St. John’s lawyer Bob Buckingham.

Bob Buckingham— Telegram file photo

Buckingham is one of he lead counsels on the national case, which centres on the loss of a hard drive by the federal government. Certification means lawyers can proceed to argue the claim.

“This is a major step forward in the process,” Buckingham said in a news release Tuesday night.

“The legal team will now focus its energies on moving the matter to conclusion as quickly as possible. There is significant interest in this action — more than 24,000 people have viewed my firm’s Facebook page since the decision was issued yesterday,” Buckingham said.

He said the case related to a hard drive lost by Human Resources and Skills Development containing personal information about 583,000 student loan borrowers.

Representative plaintiffs in the national class action are Gaelon Condon, Rebecca Walker and Angela Piggott.

The plaintiffs don’t know the identity of those whose information as lost, Buckingham said. But he said the federal court order allows all potentially affected individuals to participate. Anyone who received a Canada Student Loan between 2000 and 2006 from any province except Quebec or the territories of Nunavut or the Northwest Territories can register as potential claimants at www.studentloansclassaction.com

Organizations: Human Resources

Geographic location: Quebec, Nunavut, Northwest Territories

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • Virginia Waters
    March 19, 2014 - 08:56

    Why is it that no one has launched a class action law suit against NALCOR not only for the grief but - in many cases - what were significant financial losses resulting from the blackouts? Why hasn't the opposition in the House demanded to know how much compensation has been paid so far to companies like North Atlantic Refining which no doubt lost substantial sums as a result of NALCOR's/Hydro's/Government's negligence. Government will want to keep those settlements quiet because they wouldn't want small businesses and homeowners who, proportionately, were impacted as much or more to start filing claims. There is already an abundance of evidence that this was not an Act of God (as would be the case if transmission towers were toppled in an ice storm), but rather a deliberate gamble on the part of a regulated utility that it could make it through the winter without having to bring all their production facilities up to scratch. At the very least someone should be setting up an online site where people could begin registering their losses. Why is it that the consumer advocate, for example, hasn't shown any initiative in holding NALCOR to account on behalf of consumers? My guess is that if this was Ontario, class actions would already be in place. Mr. Crosbie, Mr. Buchingham - whomever - surely there is someone out there who could be explaining the legal options available to those who have suffered losses.