Couple escapes blaze

Frank
Frank Gale
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Smoke detector credited with saving lives in house fire

A smoke detector alert is credited for saving the lives of an elderly Degrau couple whose home was destroyed by a fire in the early morning hours Monday.

The charred remnants of a home that burned early Monday in Degrau.

Alvin Tallack said his 73-year-old stepfather was awakened by the smoke detector in the couple’s house, located on Oceanview Drive. He woke his 68-year-old wife and got her out of the house, which was quickly filling with smoke.

“They managed to get out of the house with just the clothes on their backs,” Tallack said.  

Police received the fire call at 2:36 a.m.

Bay St. George RCMP Const. Justin Deluney said police didn’t have a figure on the loss of the residence, but the home was insured.

Investigators don’t believe the fire was suspicious.

Tallack said his parents’ home was beautiful and the couple had nothing but the best in it. He said that in the interim his parents are living with their daughter in Kippens.

Tallack said he has no idea what might have caused the fire, as the wood furnace in the home had been out since midnight, several hours prior to the blaze.

 

The Western Star

Geographic location: Western Star

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments