Coleman gets into the Tory leadership race

James
James McLeod

It looks like the choice for the next premier of Newfoundland and Labrador will come down to a pair of Corner Brook businessmen.

Frank Coleman

Late Thursday evening, Frank Coleman sent a brief statement to the media saying that he’s running for the leadership of the PC Party.

Then, in quick succession, Municipal Affairs Minister Steve Kent said he won’t be running, and reports surfaced that former cabinet minister Shawn Skinner is also out.

"I can confirm that tomorrow I will be filing my nomination papers to seek the Leadership of the Progressive Conservative Party of Newfoundland and Labrador,” Coleman said in the brief statement e-mailed to media. “I will have more to say next week when I officially launch my campaign. I am very excited about this new challenge in my life and I look forward to earning the confidence of the people of this great province. Thank you.”

At this point, the only other confirmed candidate running for the leadership is Bill Barry, another Corner Brook businessman who owns the Barry Group fish processing company.

The deadline for submitting nomination papers for the leadership is noon today.

The PC Party will hold a delegated convention on the first weekend in July to select the new leader, who will replace Tom Marshall as premier of the province.

Organizations: Tory, PC Party.Then, Progressive Conservative Party of Newfoundland and Labrador Barry Group

Geographic location: Corner Brook

Comments

Comments

• nl turf
    March 14, 2014 - 10:39

The knives were out a mth ago and now not one of them, man nor woman wants the job!!It's like a hockey team having a players only meeting and demanding the Captain leave the team and then no one steps up to be Captain, so they bring in a new player to be Captain!! Unbelievable!! Not one of those sitting MHA's deserve your vote in the next Provincial election!!

• Neil
    March 14, 2014 - 10:18

Must be nice to be hand chosen. I have nothing against Mr. Coleman, he seems nice enough. He'll get the leadership, Marshall will resign his seat for him to run, Coleman gets elected. Pretty sweet deal if someone handed it to you I guess....too bad politics aren't for the common folk. It is for the rich who can afford to run....sad really.

• Gekko
      March 14, 2014 - 10:45

God forbid that the government be run by people who have a successful track record in the private sector. I want lawmakers who actually understand law and have experience in managing large amounts of money, and that means lawyers and businessmen. I will never, ever cast a vote for a cab driver, film maker, career academic, or social justice activist, to mention a few examples.

• John Q Public
    March 14, 2014 - 09:49

Danny Milliams chastised Bill Barry because (according to Danny) Barry was "taking a short cut to the Premiers office"! It's going to be interesting to watch just how skilled Danny Milliams is at "sucking and blowing" at the same time!!!!!!!!!

• Guy Incognito
      March 14, 2014 - 10:07

With King Danny it is do what he says, not what he does. So much for him staying out of politics when he resigned. I guess he meant he would stay of politics as long as everything unfolded like he wanted it to.....

• saelcove
    March 14, 2014 - 09:37

Danny has found himself another gofer

• Muggins
    March 14, 2014 - 09:12

Danny has found himself a new shepard for his sheep, aka the Tory caucus. It will certainly be interesting to get Colemans take on Muskrat. Afterall, he does sit on the Emera Board whose mandate is to achieve every possible benefit from Muskrat for the people of Nova Scotia at the expense of NL. Barry seems eager for the job & Coleman seems the reluctant groom at a shotgun wedding.

• Guy Incognito