Major work to be done on Fleur de Lys and La Scie road
The Provincial Government has announced that the pre-commitment of $30 million for roadwork in the province is starting on the Baie Verte Peninsula and Green Bay.
© Rudy Norman
Premier Tom Marshall with members of Fleur de Lys town council and MHA Kevin Pollard
Premier Tom Marshall was in Fleur de Lys on Wednesday to announce a portion of the money the province allocated in an effort to get tenders out early will be used on route 410 between Baie Verte and Fleur de Lys, as well as route 414 heading towards La Scie. Funding was also announced for three kilometres of leveling on Route 392. “I am very pleased to announce the first tender call under our Provincial Road Improvement Program for this year, as our government delivers on a commitment to issue $30 million in early road construction tenders, ensuring that road construction projects begin earlier than ever before,” Marshall told a the crowd gathered at the Dorset Soapstone quarry facility. The announcement of the funding in Fleur de Lys comes after protests last year when road work scheduled for 2013 was carried over to this season due to the lateness of the season when the contract was awarded. MHA Kevin Pollard assured the people of Fleur de Lys that the announcement on Wednesday was in addition to the funding for the nearly five kilometres of roadword that was carried over from last year. “I am very pleased that our government continues to address infrastructure priorities in our rural areas,” said Pollard. “Routes 390, 410 and 414 are important pieces of transportation infrastructure and these upgrades will provide social and economic benefits for residents and businesses.” While details of the work going to tender weren’t announced, information obtained by the Nor’wester from tender documents show the province is asking for tenders on 11.75km of road work on route 410 between kilometres 67-90. A total of 9.8km is being tendered on route 414. Premier Marshall's office confirmed those numbers on Thursday. If tenders were accepted as asked for by province, it would mean that the majority of trouble sections of both roads would be completed with the work. Also announced on Wednesday was leveling on three kilometres on Route 392. For more on Premier Marshall's visit, see Thursday's print editon of The Nor'wester