Lawyer to request investigation into RNC after alleged assault

Josh
Josh Pennell

Serious charges against a young St. John’s man were dropped in court today but equally serious allegations are now being made about the RNC.

Last December Bradley Bartlett was leaving a Christmas party at Dooley’s on Topsail Road. He was waiting for a cab with a drink outside and smashed the glass. An altercation with police led to three charges of assaulting a police officer against Bartlett, but they were dropped by the Crown as there was no likelihood of a conviction.

Bartlett’s lawyer, Bob Simmonds, then told the court that as a result of what Bartlett told him and the eyewitness accounts of several others who were also at the party that night, there was allegedly an incident where a police officer punched Bartlett in the face three times after he was subdued.

A witness at the party also took photos with their cell phone.

Simmonds says if the incident happened as he has been told, it will be the worst case of police brutality he’s seen in his 34 years practising law.

Simmonds will now be writing the chief of the RNC, Bill Janes, to request a criminal investigation into the incident.

Bradley Bartlett was facing three charges of assaulting a police officer and resisting arrest and also a charge of obstructing a police officer.

Geographic location: Topsail Road

Comments

Comments

• Dwayne Cull
    March 05, 2014 - 21:14

Yeah boy I was just standing there minding my own business when the cops jumped me and pounded me silly...really I was just minding my own business.......

• Marshall Art
    March 05, 2014 - 20:20

The issue , by's, is not why he was punched in the face; the issue is that he was allegedly punched in the face three times by a police officer after he was subdued. After he was subdued, not before. And that, by's, if substantiated by a criminal investigation, amounts to police brutality.

• Louis Humphreys
    March 05, 2014 - 17:08

Rizzuto

• Duffy
    March 05, 2014 - 16:28

One always wonders if this is about Justice or about reaching for the "deep pocket" for $$$$$$. Lawyers know that there is money in the Government Purse - and I believe they get 1/3rd of the take. Been there and got the T-Shirt.

• gerry
    March 05, 2014 - 15:29

Mike, three punches to the face is justified how? Pretty much same thing happened in Fredericton a few years ago. Police had a guy outside a club face down with at least 2 of them on top of him. One cop was kneeing the guy in the kidneys telling the guy to 'stop resisting"; the guy sounded like he was in pain saying "I'm not!" over & over. All caught on a cell phone video. Investigated...by who?...not a charge laid. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts ' same thing happens here...

• Mike
    March 05, 2014 - 13:49

I am with Andrew Brace on this. I suspect there is a great deal more to the story that led to Bartlett's arrest that led to the violence. Readers should not accept anything that his lawyer reported to the court.

• Andrew Brace
    March 05, 2014 - 12:56

Punched in the face for breaking a glass. Yeah right! I was born at night- not last night.

• Me
      March 05, 2014 - 20:57

Agreed. Why 4 cops because he broke a glass? Why any cops because he broke a glass? There's more to this story.

• New Tech
    March 05, 2014 - 12:40

This is a HUGE issue with police right across North America now. These days, everyone has a camera on them. Anyone can snap off quality photos and video. There is a lot more accusations of police brutality now coming to light. I'm not saying the police brutalized anyone in this case. I'm just saying that more cases are unfolding because of the new technology.

• Lynn
      March 05, 2014 - 17:54

Yes I agree that technology today is changing the face of society.What goes on behind the camera is even scary.God bless us all