RNC issues warning about computer scam

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary (RNC) Economic Crime Unit is warning the public about a scam where offenders are posing as representatives of Microsoft or an affiliate and making phone calls to advise people of problems with their computers.

RNC

The offender advises the victim that they will fix the problem once provided with a credit card number and will attempt to gain remote access to the computer in question. When victims provide these offenders with remote access, they unknowingly give them access to everything on their computer. This can lead to identity theft, email takeovers and more.

The RNC Economic Crime Unit urges the general public to refrain from providing personal information to people they don’t know online or over the phone and to verify the authenticity of the person by requesting information and then contacting the organization directly.

The RNC further advises not to provide your credit card number over the phone or allow anyone remote access to your computer.

Comments

Comments

• Donna
    March 06, 2014 - 23:00

I have had this happen to me... well my husband was the one that took the call, I told him not to allow them access and he did, I told him not to give them his credit card, he did, I told him not to allow them access to mine, he did... 2 days later my computer crashed, I had to take it to the shop and pay to have it fixed, then change all my bank info etc....

• S
    March 05, 2014 - 18:57

Recently I had 2 of these calls, both with an Asian accent, and when he told me he was calling about my Windows operating system, I asked him what happens if I don't have windows?! He told me to go f$*# myself & hung up.

• Shirley Hollett
    March 05, 2014 - 18:04

I have been receiving these calls for years. I use a different line on them each time they catch me at home and not using call display. I thought that the 'Do not call' registration would stop this scam. Apparently not.

• Cheryl
    March 05, 2014 - 14:55

I've been having fun with these calls, telling him everything from I don't have a computer! to actually telling the guy to call me back on my other number, and I give them the number of the RCMP, they don't call me anymore.....lol

• original townie
    March 05, 2014 - 12:45

How many times are we supposed to advise people not to provide any info to parties unknown....."stupid is as stupid does". Hard to find any sympathy for scammed individuals. They deserve what they get if they don't listen and pay attention to what they are told about scamming artists. BTW...I got a similar call recently and I told the caller "Go F.... yourself". After a brief moment, there was only silence on the other end of the phone. It made my day : )

• Steve
    March 05, 2014 - 12:17

I worked tech support for 11 years and I've wanted to get this call, just to see how far I could string them along. Sadly, no call yet.

• John
    March 05, 2014 - 12:14

Are people still falling for this?

• Joanne
    March 05, 2014 - 12:09

I had one of these calls several months ago. The gentleman told me he was calling from Microsoft regarding a problem with my computer. I said, "really but I don't even own a computer" (which I do), and he hung up.