Hydro is advising as of noon Wednesday the peak for the Hydro System Tuesday night was 1,472 megawatts, at approximately 8:20 p.m.
Island electricity update
The peak this morning was 1,482MW and occurred at approximately 7:15 a.m.
Current generating capacity on the Hydro System is 1,575 MW.
Dawn Dalley, VP Corporate Relations, said “We experienced very high loads on the system last night and this morning due to the extremely cold temperatures we are seeing on the Island,.
“We were able to maintain electricity supply to all customers, and want to thank our residential and business customers for doing their part to conserve.”
Very cold temperatures are expected to continue until tomorrow, Thursday. Therefore, Hydro is continuing to forecast very high electricity demand (peak loads between 1,400MW and 1,500MW) on the island until Thursday evening.
Hydro is continuing to manage the peak loads within its planning protocols including using capacity assistance from Corner Brook Pulp and Paper.
Customers are requested to continue taking steps to conserve electricity where possible, as a precautionary measure.
With last night’s peak occurring shortly after 8 p.m., we are asking people to extend their evening conservation from 4-9 p.m. The morning peak time remains at 7-10 a.m.
Residential and business customers on the island are asked to avoid unnecessary electricity usage and reduce their consumption as much as possible during these peak periods.
Residential customers can assist by doing the following:
1. Reducing electric heat by a few degrees.
2. Conserving hot water by not running dishwashers, washers and showers.
3. Avoid using clothes dryers.
Business customers can assist by doing the following:
1. Only heat spaces when and where necessary – reduce temperatures or shut off heating in vestibules, stairwells, lobbies and unused spaces.
2. Reduce equipment use during peak periods.
3. Reduce lighting – turn off outdoor safety and security lighting at the start of each day and turn off non-essential indoor lights, outdoor signs, billboards and other lighting.
Although Hydro does not anticipate any additional concerns with its generation, there is a potential rotating outages may be initiated during peak demand if any additional generation issues arise.
Please assist by conserving energy wherever possible. Hydro thanks customers for their support and cooperation at this time.