Former NDP MHAs join Liberal Party

James
James McLeod

Newfoundland Liberal leader Dwight Ball stressed inclusiveness and an "open door policy" as he welcomed MHAs Dale Kirby and Christopher Mitchelmore into the Liberal fold this morning.

Liberal leader Dwight Ball has welcomed former NDP members Dale Kirby and Christopher Mitchelmore into the Liberal fold. — Photo by James McLeod/The Telegram

Kirby and Mitchelmore have been sitting as independents since they orchestrated a messy NDP caucus revolt last October.

"This announcement is about giving people of both districts the best possible representation, "Ball said.

The Liberals will now go into the House of Assembly this spring with 11 members, almost double the six members elected in the October 2011 general election.

Kirby said that he's been able to" reflect "for the past few months, and talked with constituents.

" We must now look to the future to bring about the changes we've been asking for," Kirby said.

Organizations: Liberal Party

Comments

Comments

• Really Now
    February 04, 2014 - 22:40

can some of you tell me what it means to be NDP? Liberal? Or PC? The fact is very few people understand the political ideologies that make the party. Liberals & NDP are almost identical when it comes to political ideology in today's politics. People vote for the man - period. Kirby, Mitchelmore, Ball etc, they'll all get elected. Mark that down in your ignorant little black books.

• Bert
    February 04, 2014 - 18:01

I thought Cathy Dunderdale really went overboard in bringing down the party. Dwight Ball must have been thrilled seeing this transpire. He couldn't believe anyone could drop so fast in the polls. Will I thought the P.C. would be toast in the next election, now I'm not so sure. Mr. Ball is already started is downfall from grace.

• Sean Connors
    February 04, 2014 - 16:31

Any thought of voting Liberal are now gone.....nothing but opportunist!!

• Missus
    February 04, 2014 - 14:24

Nice. The people voted for NDP members, only to have them switch teams. Shouldn't be allowed. They are elected by the people, therefore they should serve the people. They've lost all dignity in my opinion.

• Mindy
    February 04, 2014 - 13:50

Some people vote the person / some vote for the leader but there are some that vote the party. They all go hand in hand I might vote Joe Blow because he is liberal because I like their leader. Whatever my reasons for voting Mr. Joe Blow he should stay in the postion that the people voted him/her into. Or sit as an independent and voice YOUR opinions so that we the people know where you sit as an individual. If you want to change parties --- do so when the time comes to vote again. You were voted for the people and by the people and the people pay you salary.

• Dee
    February 04, 2014 - 13:23

I agree Neil if an politician wants to step over to another party other then the one they were elected for then it should go back to the people who put them into begin with.This circus is almost making my decision should I vote or not,seems like it don't matter who we vote for anyway they are doing what they want..

• Political Watcher
    February 04, 2014 - 12:24

I would love to have been in on the conversation where the Liberals consider taking Kirby and Mitchelmore. "We realize you knifed your other leader in the back, but sure, c'mon in to the ol' boys club. We got room for ya." I would watch my back, Dwight. Dale wants more power. Christopher wants to be accepted. They will knife you for the next party too.

• Caligula
      February 04, 2014 - 13:41

Seems this scenario played itself out before... Oh right it was Caesar. Et tu Kirby?

• Dolf
      February 04, 2014 - 14:28

What's with people like you? Murphy and Rogers also willingly signed a letter seeking a leadership review. Kirby & Mitchelmore didn't play the cry-babies when their intent was made public. But the bottom line in the NDP mess was Michael herself. Keep that in mind.

• Sean Connors
      February 04, 2014 - 16:33

Well said PW

• Steve
    February 04, 2014 - 11:59

Why does it seem like Harry, Ambrose, Dianne, Neil, Scott and Linda are all the same person?

• Al
      February 04, 2014 - 15:18

Vote early, vote often see. You're very observant. LOL

• Harry
    February 04, 2014 - 11:25

Now this funny, One of the greatest liberal leader of all time's, Turn out to be Dwight Ball...LOL... Now Mr Ball where do you stand on Muskrat Falls, can you please answer this question. Or should someone contact Mr Charles Murphy concerning this major project, I'm sure he would be able to answer this question on behalf of the people.

• Ambrose
    February 04, 2014 - 11:09

@ Neil, Sorry. the trouble will turn out to be Mr Ball, Remember you heard its from me first. Thing is the people will have to pay for the mistake that we bought upon ourselves.

• Dianne
    February 04, 2014 - 11:01

Look like our worst premier is on the rise, All fingers are pointing at Mr Ball. LOL ... Kathy your looking better in the eyes of the voters,

• neil
    February 04, 2014 - 10:44

I think when someone leaves a party and goes independent or goes with another party there should be an election held, they were elected for what they ran for not for the party they chose after the face, Kirby is nothing but trouble I think

• Stephen
      February 04, 2014 - 14:55

My point is not directed at the individual(s), but the process. Point; I vote for an individual based on the party(ies) platform. The HOPE is that the individual will form the Party of power and therefore use their platform. When individuals leave that party, they have in fact left the voters without representation, based on the presentation they were elected on. Switching sides or going independent still should be grounds for a bi-election based on a failure to uphold the values they were elected on. The voters can therefore tell the candidate "run under whatever banner you like, then switch sides to deliver more rewards for us later". I'm at a loss to see this large of a hole in our political system. I guess being elected is an open contract of employment with no terms of discipline.

• Stephen
      February 04, 2014 - 14:58

• neil
    February 04, 2014 - 10:43

• Tony Young
      February 09, 2014 - 13:06

I agree 100% with you Neil. When members of a party move to another party at a time like this, it is obvious why they move and why they are in politics. Knowing the Libs will be elected to secure a pay check for themselves, their values are obviously not their 1st priority. Libs should have said, thanks but no thanks.

• Scott
    February 04, 2014 - 10:35

Where are all the proud Liberal too, hiding their heads in shame. After all Ball is man you wanted for leader of our party... Liberal party of N & L is becoming the laughing party of Canada. Keep up the good work Ball. Question is how do Danny D feel about all the turncoat.

• Part Time MHA Kirby
    February 04, 2014 - 10:28

I didn't vote Liberal in St. John's North in the last election. I voted for Dale Kirby, NDP. He is only a part-time MHA, keeping his full time job at MUN and doing MHA part-time. He thinks he has found a way to keep on doing that by joining the Liberals. Bye Bye Dale, stay at MUN.

• Linda
    February 04, 2014 - 10:28

Liberal are only a B/S club, As for MR Ball he isn't about the people, Just his own concern. Happy 2015, if this turncoat party become to power. As for Mr Ball, that man haven't got a clue how to build anything.

• Consider the source
      February 04, 2014 - 12:45

I think your grammar is a great reflection of your political astuteness.

• Carl
    February 04, 2014 - 10:15

They should do well in the Liberal Party where principles are just a quaint idea. The NDP is well rid of them!