One man charged in home invasion to have bail hearing today

Cory
Cory Hurley
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Second man released until March court date

Police say two men were known to the man they’re accused of binding and robbing in Corner Brook Friday night.

The two Massey Drive men, charged with multiple offences and accused of the targeted robbery, live in the same housing complex, but in separate homes. The 53-year-old victim lives on Humber Road.

Const. Scott Mosher of the Corner Brook Royal Newfoundland Constabulary said the victim of the alleged robbery was targeted by the two charged men. They were inside the home with their faces masked and carrying machetes and bear spray, according to court documents. They allegedly bound the man’s hands and feet with plastic cable ties when he arrived home from work at 9:30 p.m., and left with $300 in cash, a black canvas bag and various electronic items.

Despite his restraints, the victim was able to contact police via telephone, and responding officers freed him. He was taken to hospital for injuries suffered while trying to free himself, according to Mosher, and was later released.

Andre Lecuyer, 33, was arrested overnight Friday. He was charged with break and enter, forcible confinement, robbery with violence and disguise with intent.

Kirby Spence, 19, was arrested Saturday and charged with robbery with violence, disguise with intent, break and enter, possession of property obtained through crime and breach of a court order.

“Police believe this was a targeted act, not random in nature,” Mosher said Monday.

“We are unsure, at this time, what the relationship is between the victim and the two accused.”

The officer said the responding officers found evidence that led them to obtain and execute search warrants of the two households and a vehicle believed to have been used in the offence. He said video surveillance from a nearby business revealed there were two suspects and identified a vehicle type.

“We certainly believe the two individuals that appeared in court (Monday) are the individuals who were in the residence at the time the homeowner returned,” Mosher said. “We certainly haven’t ruled out the possibility that there are other people involved.”

The 53-year-old owner of the house is facing drug trafficking charges from last year.

In provincial court in Corner Brook Monday, Lecuyer, not a native Newfoundlander, was released from custody to appear before court again March 18. Spence, a Newfoundland native, is scheduled to have a bail hearing in Corner Brook this afternoon.

Lecuyer must report to the Corner Brook Royal Newfoundland Constabulary to sign the registration book every Monday. He is not allowed outside his Massey Drive residence from 11 p.m.-6 a.m. daily. He is also not allowed to possess a knife or be inside a dwelling where prohibited weapons are present. He is also not allowed to have contact with Spence, a specifically named female or the victim of the alleged robbery.

Crown attorney Alana Dwyer did not consent to the release of Spence, who has a number of outstanding matters before the court. Duty counsel lawyer Lynn Cole represented both accused as they appeared before Judge Wayne Gorman Monday.

Mosher said the investigation is ongoing, and anybody with any information that could assist is encouraged to contact police.

 

 

The Western Star

Organizations: Corner Brook Royal Newfoundland Constabulary

Geographic location: Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Western Star

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments