Heavenly Creatures short on food, funds

Andrew
Andrew Robinson

Group hopes to help animals without homes survive the holidays

With too many animals to care for, a shortage in food and funds and hefty veterinarian bills to cover, a local animal welfare group is looking for a bit of extra help from the public this holiday season.

Bailey is a young, stray, impounded dog. Heavenly Creatures is trying to find the female dog a foster home before it’s too late. — Submitted photo

According to Jessica Rendell, Heavenly Creatures’ president, the group has handled a higher-than-usual number of animals in 2013.

“It seems like every time we turn around, there’s another homeless cat or dog who is in desperate need of help,” she said.

Heavenly Creatures’ annual Christmas Pet Food and Donation Drive started last Monday, but had not received much attention as of this past weekend.

Heavenly Creatures was looking after approximately 120 cats as of Saturday, with 20 to 30 of those animals in the process of being adopted. It also has 20 dogs and a waiting list for animals it hopes to be able to provide care for within the next week.

As for veterinarian bills, the group owes $20,000.

“We’ve already spent over $100,000 on medical bills this year,” said Rendell. “A lot of the animals we take in are from the streets and from pounds, and they often come to us injured or, at the very least, they haven’t had a lot of medical care done.”

The increased need for the group’s services has also affected its food supply. According to Rendell, Heavenly Creatures was down to three boxes of tinned cat food by the end of Friday. That supply did increase over the weekend, but Rendell said the organization is still looking for more wet cat food.

Heavenly Creatures is also looking for foster parents to help look after animals without a home. Many of the people who regularly assist the organization with that task will be away from home during the holidays.

“There are some animals that are already in foster care and need new places, but there’s also animals that are on the street and in pounds that will be destroyed before Christmas if we can’t take them,” said Rendell. “We’re begging people to open their homes to these animals so their lives can be spared before Christmas.”

Those looking to provide any sort of donation can stop by Heavenly Creatures’ St. John’s office at 3 Cashin Ave. Its hours of operation between now and Dec. 22 are outlined at www.heavenlycreatures.ca.

Those looking to help directly with veterinarian bills can make donations through two local clinics — Sunrise Animal Hospital in Mount Pearl and St. John’s Veterinary Hospital.

arobinson@thetelegram.com

Twitter: @TeleAndrew

Organizations: Animal Hospital

Geographic location: Mount Pearl

Comments

Comments

• darren
    December 18, 2013 - 07:51

@ Trudy Veitch. "Opening our hearts to help these defenseless creatures embodies the spirit of Christmas." Whaaaaaaaaaaaa??? The spirit of Christmas is to celbrate the birth of God's son, sent to save the world. You really need to get back in touch with people.

• Melanie
    December 17, 2013 - 09:49

I just sent my donation from my Christmas gift funds, I hope it helps!!

• donna cleveland
    December 17, 2013 - 02:09

I work for a large company and would love to get donations, do you have some information or receipt books so I can show that this is real?..also, I am looking to volunteer my services in some way. Please contact me at above email address...tks...

• Melanie
      December 17, 2013 - 09:33

Donna your email doesn't show on here! Make sure to contact them with your information, they have a website. http://www.heavenlycreatures.ca/donate.asp

• Elaine Johnson
      December 18, 2013 - 20:52

Yes, Heavenly Creatures is a Registered Canadian Charity. HC has been rescuing pets over 12 years. HC gives tax receipts. Registered Charity # 86555 3655RR001 We accept payment by: • cheque or money order • direct bank transfer • online via PayPal Wire a donation directly from your bank account to ours: Heavenly Creatures Royal Bank, Water Street Transit # 09453 Institution # 003 Business Account #100-587-5 E-money transfers can also be sent to us at info@heavenlycreatures.ca. Online bank transfers are a safe and speedy way of sending a donation to help the animals. Be sure to include your mailing address in the e-money transfer "message" field. Your cheque or money order can be made payable to: Heavenly Creatures P.O. Box 882, Stn C 354 Water St. St. John's, NL A1C 1C0 Canada Heavenly Creatures 1-709-739-0077 Thank You Elaine Johnson Director Heavenly Creatures

• Rhonda Mercer
    December 16, 2013 - 20:54

Where are you located & what are your open hrs.

• Rhonda Mercer
    December 16, 2013 - 20:53

Where are you located & what are your open hrs.

• JJ
    December 16, 2013 - 13:31

I for one will be donating something to help out.

• Jon
    December 16, 2013 - 13:13

@Karen_H. Are you really sure they "exhaust all avenues" before deciding to put the animals down?

• San
      December 16, 2013 - 16:49

Jon...do you speak from experience or are you just making ass-umptions?

• EDfromRED
    December 16, 2013 - 12:47

I hope CBC gives 5 minutes to this story on the news, but it'll probably eat into their Turkey Drive Infomercial news broadcast time

• leah
    December 16, 2013 - 11:44

I just donated to Heavenly Creatures and I feel great,I love animals so much I hope they succeed in getting a lot of donations to help these little creatures out.

• Dis-illusioned
    December 16, 2013 - 08:16

Several times in the past I have called Heavenly Creatures to foster a dog & every time I was not able to work my way through their phone system to even leave a message to have someone call me back. How can I foster a dog, please?

• JB
      December 16, 2013 - 17:43

Email them or call the office between 6-9 pm.

• Mike
      December 17, 2013 - 07:53

Hey, check out their website, the website address is in the article above. We fostered and ended up adopting one little pooch last year.

• Trudy Veitch
    December 16, 2013 - 07:57

Opening our hearts to help these defenseless creatures embodies the spirit of Christmas. Thank you to the Telegram for informing the public as to how desperately this wonderful volunteer organization needs the public's support.

• Kent
    December 16, 2013 - 07:52

@ Karen H... If everyone had the same idea about "unrealistic" goals as you, nothing in this world would ever be accomplished.

• Karen H.
    December 16, 2013 - 05:44

Two very different views are evident between this group and the SPCA. Heavenly Creatures is a NO KILL thinking group, while the SPCA's practice is euthanization only after all avenues have been exhausted. While I'm an animal lover I'm also realistic...society can't save every pet that is discarded by their owners. Good luck to Heavenly Creatures on your donation drive...you'll need a lot to keep up with your unrealistic goals!

• Nancy
      December 16, 2013 - 09:03

@ Karen H., You do realize that you are part of the problem?

• Deidre
      December 16, 2013 - 11:34

Support, help, and love are needed at times like this, not back-handed bashing. Animals are living and breathing and experiencing life, no matter how small they may be, and they (like humans) need extra compassion at this time of year. I think Heavenly Creatures is an amazing presence in our community and I will most certainly continue to support them because I believe in the work they do.

• Deidre
      December 16, 2013 - 11:35

• Deb J
      December 17, 2013 - 04:15

Karen H. I totally agree with you. While I too am an animal lover, there are many PEOPLE in this province that cannot put food on the table for their family or cannot afford medication for their illnesses. Let's put things into perspective here.

• Joanie
      December 18, 2013 - 05:46

@ Karen H This is a volunteer based organization that steps in and gives these animals a fighting chance at living a good life. Their goals are simple: help as many animals as they can, within their means if those animals are able to be integrated safely into a home. It is people like you that do nothing but take pleasure in criticizing others that try-shame on you. You're a purported animal lover...really? I pity the animal that would happen to stray in your direction...